Do you need a mouthwatering story with a breakthrough plot that keeps you on your toes? What if you could find that complete satisfaction you've been searching for in a novel? Think of how wonderful that would be. Now is the time for your desires to be sated. Discover the acclaimed style of Virgil Allen Moore and buy Demon Vampire.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

My first time Min/Max

I wanted to tell you about my first time I ever min/maxed a character.

The idea of a min/max is to get a few select traits of a character to be as high as the rules will allow by lowering the rest of the characters traits as much as possible within the rule set. Usually, it's a broken character. Doing massive amounts of damage in combat and never being able to reliably open a simple unlocked door. But broken can be fun. And at the time, a friend of mine wanted to start a first level any alignment campaign in 3rd edition dungeons and dragons. Since I had only played once several years ago and since I had read more of the supplemental books since then, I wanted to min/max.

  My concept was pretty fun. At the time, monster races were there thing to do and my DM was pretty slack about it. I liked the entire idea of wizards, after my fun experience with my last character, and thought of ways to improve things. I didn't like being hit in combat, so I chose of all things a Nixie. An aquatic pixie that has a swim speed, can breathe under water, and had a size category adjustment of +4 to his armor class. Meaning that he was hard to hit and could run if in a tight spot. The world I was everything had lots of rivers and streams, so I thought it was a great idea to mitigate the risks of being a wizard at low levels.

  I was incredibly wrong.

  During our first adventure, my group left to stop a band of kobolds from ransacking the travelling merchants in the area. A human ranger, a were-rhino barbarian, and an undead wight monk, and me a Nixie, set forth down the path out of town. The next morning we were attacked by eight kobolds with spears. As you might imagine, the DM was being nice and only sent one after me and the rest against the main party. And all too quickly, the ranger, barbarian, and monk had taken down seven kobolds. And then there was me. I blew my only magic missile and did one point of damage. Then it was on to my only weapon, a dagger. The first strike from the kobold landed with a lucky roll, and did two points out of the six health I had to start. My next attack swung beside him and missed. Then another lucky roll. There damage, I was down to one point of health. At this time, I had run away over a hill in an attempt to single out the enemy. Ironically, it was this reason why the rest of my group didn't come to help. I wasn't in ear shot anymore. The kobold was down to three points of health and I needed a miracle. I lunged and prayed and rolled an attack of nine and missed. Three next swing at me took me down to negative health. I yelled in pain and I was unconscious. The rest of the group finally heard me and was able to save me from the final blow.

No comments: